Friday, March 30, 2012

Curtain Accessory

I've been wanting to change things up in my daughter's room for awhile now and finally got motivated to do so when we converted her crib into a toddler bed.  Hubby doesn't like the idea of painting the walls any color but white, so I was trying to find a way to add color without painting.  Vinyl decals are out because we have pretty heavily textured walls and I'm not sure they would stick well.  I bought some turquoise curtains but the black curtain rod was bugging me.  I decided to get creative and add a whimsical row of circles to the top of each curtain.  It took a little trial and error to find the best way to hang it, but I'm not very savvy when it comes to handyman-type work. 


I started with 8" and 6" cake circles, patterned scrapbook paper and spray adhesive.  I traced the circles onto the back of the paper and cut out the circles.  For each of my curtains, I used 2 - 8" circles on the ends and then 6 - 6" circles in the middle.  Simply spray the cardboard circles with adhesive and apply the paper, following the instructions for your particular adhesive. 


I inked the edges of all my circles with a small ink pad that I use for scrapbooking.  It gives the circles a little more definition and helps tie all the colors together. 

Next I took a piece of thin wood that was the length of my curtain rod and hot glued the cardboard circles to it.  I offset mine to make it look more fun.  To hang it, I just tied a piece of string around each end of the wood (but hidden behind one of the circles) and then tied it to the curtain rod.  Easy peasy.

Here's the before and after!




No comments:

Post a Comment