Sunday, January 22, 2012

House Beef


My favorite Chinese restaurant around here is Yen Ching and their House Beef is out of this world!  It's a stir fried beef with a sweet, salty, garlic-y, onion-y sauce that they serve over a bed of thinly shredded cabbage.  A friend of mine gave me this recipe a few years ago and I've made it several times since then.  I have to say it's very similar to the original.  I slice the meat at an angle and against the grain.  I use reduced sodium soy sauce and will sometimes add a little extra soy sauce (or even a little water) at the end to thin out the sauce.  The sauce runs over the cabbage and wilts it.  So delicious!

  It's helpful to have everything prepped for this before you start the actual cooking.  Once you start, it goes fast!

House Beef

1 lb. sirloin, sliced thinly against the grain
2 eggs
2 T. cornstarch

1 head garlic, minced (and no, that's not a typo...a whole head of garlic!)
1/4 c. green onions, sliced

1/2 t. black pepper
3 T. sugar
4 T. soy sauce

Thinly shredded cabbage (I buy the pre-shredded kind)
Sesame Oil

Mix eggs and cornstarch together in a medium bowl with 1 T. sesame oil.  Toss with meat.  Heat 1-2 T. vegetable oil in skillet or wok over medium high heat..  Fry meat until cooked through.  Set aside.

Wipe pan.  Heat 1 T. sesame oil over medium heat.  Saute garlic and then add green onion.

Combine pepper, sugar and soy sauce.  Add to garlic and green onion, along with the meat.  Stir over medium heat until everything is well combined and heated through.  Serve over rice and a bed of thinly sliced cabbage. 

Serves 4

3 comments:

  1. This looks really good- I need to make more Chinese food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my city we have a Chinese returaunt I've been going to since I was very little! This sounds like the exact recipe for their House beef! I'm going to make this and see if it tastes the same! So excited! Thank you so much for posting this. It's true you can find anything on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made this for YEARS but I don't make the cornstarch batter. I just stir fry it in a little VO or OO. I also throw in some asparagus in 1" pieces or broccoli flowerets to up the veg component. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete